Monday 4 October 2010

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Wait, there's a homosexual in this book?
Where did I put my matches...?
Image via Wikipedia
The novel One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest was published in 1962. Since then it has become regarded as one of the 20th Century's greatest literary works. It was included in TIME magazine's 100 Best English-Language Novels from 1923 to 2005 and was the basis for the 1975 film of the same name starring Jack Nicholson. Needless to say, not all on Amazon.com agree with the critics:
Well I guess i really can't say anything good about this book, because to be honest I really haven't read this book (Then why, in the name of all that is holy, are you reviewing it you little bastard). The reason why is because for me to be able to read a book it has to grab my attention, and I can't just read a dull book like this one (That's not a valid excuse you know. I will still kick you in your fat arse.). When we read this book in class I knew that I wasn't going to read it, simply because of the fact that it sucked! (How would you know if you didn't read it to the end? You juvenile wanker) This book is too confusing and that also made me not want to read this book (It's not that confusing. I felt it was pretty straightforward, really). Kesey no joke needs some serious help and its a good thing he won't be able to write anymore books (What the fuck? I mean, really, what? The man is dead. Have a little respect. I will fucking end you, you little piss-ant)
I'm sorry. I'm calm again. Maybe this review will calm me down:
If there was ever a more apparent need for a 0 stars rating, this is the time (If there was ever a more apparent need for eugenics, this is the time). The time I took to read this book could have been used for much better things (Getting a brain transplant, perhaps). I could have been reading the newspaper, watching tv, or playing some video games (Please, shut the hell up. You're giving gamers a bad name). Anything would have been better then reading this P.O.S. (Like shooting yourself in the eye. Hey just throwing it out there...). The narrorator (Narrator. I don't think I've ever seen someone spell something that easy, that badly. Congratulations), Bromden, is gay and is constantly talking about how he wants to touch other men, I don't know about you but a book with that crap in it isn't for me (Whoa. Homophobic much? And anyway, he almost certainly isn't homosexual. His desire to touch McMurphy stems from his belief that McMurphy is some kind of Jesus, there to save him and the others from the hospital). Also, the fact that all these people are just staying in this mental hospital when they don't have to is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard of (They went there because society didn't want them. They stay because they all believe themselves to be crazy because Nurse Ratched keeps telling them they are. This is all kind of important to the book.). I mean I know this guy was addictted addicted to LSD (He did use it [before it was criminalized], but LSD is non-addictive), but man he must have been really tripping when he wrote this junk (He wrote it whilst working nights at a hospital. He used to talk to the patients who were under the influence of prescribed hallucinogens [the same hallucinogens that he had volunteered to trial for a study into their effects]. Not under their influence, as far as I'm aware). Your You're Cuckoo if you choose to read this book. (Oh ha ha. I see what you did there. You're so witty. Now fuck off and never review anything again.)
That wasn't as calming as I'd hoped to be honest...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails